What is the difference between liquid and capsule vitamin D?
There are many types of vitamin D supplements available to help manage vitamin D deficiency and these have been designed to cater for a variety of individuals and their diverse needs. Vitamin D in a liquid and a capsule contain the same form of this important nutrient, vitamin D3, which is the type of vitamin D that the body produces naturally.
The difference between liquids and capsules lies in their physical format, how they are taken in by the body and their daily dose. Whether you take a liquid or capsule vitamin D supplement is a personal preference. Outlined below are some of the benefits of these products and what type of individual they may suit.
Liquid vitamin D
Liquid vitamin D is essentially vitamin D3 in a liquid format. This product may be suitable for those who:
- Have difficulty swallowing capsules including older individuals.
- Are already taking several pills and do not want to add to this.
- Would like something they can mix with other liquids.
- Are children ‐ Liquid vitamin D supplements are preferable for small children as they are easy to dispense and do not pose a choking risk. Ostelin’s product Liquid Vitamin D Kids has a pleasant natural strawberry flavour, which makes it enjoyable for children to take. It is also free from added sugar, artificial colours, sweeteners, flavours and preservatives.
In addition, liquid vitamin D formulas are more readily available to the body compared to solid dose forms; the digestive system does not have to work to break down a capsule. Vitamin D is a fat soluble nutrient, which means that dietary fat is necessary for its absorption. Ostelin liquid vitamin D is carried in a fractionated coconut oil base.
Vitamin D capsules
Vitamin D capsules usually provide vitamin D in the form of vitamin D3 via in a soft gelatin capsule. Ostelin’s vitamin D capsules are small and easy‐to‐swallow, which makes them suitable for those who:
- Want a simple solution for their vitamin D needs.
- Have no trouble swallowing small capsules.
- Want a high strength vitamin D in a convenient one‐a‐day dose.
- Dislike liquid formats.
Similar to liquid preparations, soft gelatin capsules are well absorbed by the body. They disintegrate quickly in the digestive tract providing immediate nutrient delivery to produce a quicker onset of action.1